Let’s talk about the ‘glamorous’ life of a ‘Mobile DJ’. Here’s the breakdown of my ‘day’ playing a Wedding.
Load equipment, which needs to be stored safely & correctly (temperature wise). Time? 30 minutes…or so, in good weather.
Drive TO the event. Now…’an hour’ is like ‘around the block’ for me in Vermont. But let’s say it’s an hour drive, so…sixty minutes.
Unload/setup equipment. I’ve timed it dozens of times. 75 minutes at best, 90 minutes normal & add a half hour if setting up for separate Ceremony location.
Now, you cannot ‘wear’ your event outfit (whatever that is) to the event & during the setup, so…I have to have time to head to a private spot, freshen up a bit, brush my teeth, and change into your ‘event outfit’.
I ‘play’, for five hours, average.
Now…change out of ‘event wear’. Breakdown the equipment. Load the truck. 75-90 minutes.
Unload the truck (again, equipment cannot stay out in freezing cold/terribly hot/humid weather), so add on another 30 minutes.
- So, above = 11+ hours.
- Don’t forget fuel
- Don’t forget insurance for the truck
- Don’t forget liability insurance for the event, we provide it, most DJ’s never heard of it
- Don’t forget cost of legal music, per month
- Don’t forget equipment cost & of course, repairs/replacement/upgrades
- Don’t forget clean, pressed clothes for the event